Gary United Methodist Church and Aldersgate UMC of Wheaton, IL have merged to form one congregation at the current Gary Church facility. This merger helps us to grow stronger and serve others in ways that we cannot as separate congregations. The intent of the merger is described in the Plan and Agreement for Merger linked here and available in print in the Church Office.
A Brief History of Aldersgate United Methodist Church
In 1958, members of Gary Methodist Church in Wheaton answered the call of their bishop to start a new congregation south of downtown. These members began meeting in homes, then a local Masonic Lodge, before finally constructing a new church building on about 10 acres of farmland along South Blanchard Road.
When completed in 1961, the church retained the old farmhouse as the parsonage and the existing barn for storing old pews that were later installed in the chapel. In 1968, the congregation added an extension with a pastor’s study, church office and classrooms.
By the late 1980s a growing congregation voted to incorporate into the City of Wheaton and began remodeling the lower level to provide an art room and three additional classrooms. In 1991, the congregation built a new handicap accessible wing which included a commercial kitchen and a new fellowship hall with several multipurpose rooms that later facilitated a Parents’ Day Out program, weekly tutoring and dining programs.
Over the years, Aldersgate also hosted multiple worship communities and a Boy Scout troop. This legacy of community engagement and service will continue as the faithful members bring their gifts, resources and presence to Gary Memorial UMC.